SACNAS-provided travel scholarships are one option for undergraduate and graduate students to consider when seeking funding support to attend SACNAS’ National Diversity in STEM Conference. Accepted awardees will have access to funding OR lodging support from SACNAS, as well as specialized programming to welcome and orient them to the conference.
Travel scholarship awardees will receive a travel grant up to $500 that may be redeemed in one of the following ways:
- Option One: SACNAS will purchase your round-trip flight (up to $500) to Long Beach, CA
- Option Two: SACNAS will book your hotel room for four nights from Wednesday to Sunday (double occupancy) – students will be assigned a roommate
Note: Awardees are responsible for any additional expenses not stated above, including: conference registration, flight cost differential, checked bags, ground transportation, and any hotel room incidentals.
SACNAS has allocated privately funded resources towards our travel scholarship program. This allows for all students to be eligible for travel scholarships in 2020, regardless of citizenship and/or residency status.
Note: Any information collected on citizenship status in the travel scholarship application is held strictly confidential and used only for the purposes of determining scholarship eligibility and overall attendee demographics.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for a travel scholarship in the spring:
- Be a current SACNAS student member before applying for a travel scholarship
- Be at least 18 years of age (at the time of the conference)
- Be able to travel from within the U.S. or U.S. territories
SPRING-ONLY! Be one of the following during fall 2020:
- Current community college or undergraduate student pursuing a STEM field
- Graduate student enrolled in a STEM program
NOTE: The summer application period is ONLY open to undergraduate students in a summer research program. All other students must apply in the spring.
1. A complete SACNAS Travel Scholarship application will contain:
- Statement of purpose (500-word limit)
- One letter of recommendation
- Unofficial transcript (Unofficial transcript confirms that applicant is a currently enrolled student. GPA is NOT considered when reviewing a travel scholarship application.)
2. Applications must be received through the online application submission system by April 17th, 2020, 5:00 PM Pacific Time. You will be responsible to ensure your application is complete, including following up with your recommender to ensure they submit their letter before their deadline.
- No email or late submissions will be accepted (It is recommended that you submit your application with ample time prior to the deadline to avoid any technical issues)
- All submissions are final.
- Each application is assigned 2 to 3 reviewers. SACNAS will analyze reviewer scores and comments, eligibility criteria, and the priority criteria below to allocate awards.
- Students who are attending and presenting for the first time at a SACNAS conference.
- Students who are attending a SACNAS conference for the first time, but are not presenting.
- Students who are returning to a SACNAS conference and are presenting for the first time at a SACNAS conference.
- All other eligible students.