As you navigate your academic path, travel scholarships serve to empower undergraduate and graduate scholars to attend 2019 SACNAS and find the next steps needed to succeed. By receiving support for travel and lodging costs, accepted applicants will have access to abundant resources, opportunities, and community at 2019 SACNAS.
July 8th, 2019, 5pm PT
July 8th, 2019, 5pm PT
Professionals: Donate to the travel scholarship fund to support more students!
*The summer application period will be open only to undergraduate students in a summer research program. All other students should apply in the spring application period.
What’s IncludedAwardees will receive a round-trip flight and lodging.
- SACNAS will purchase your round-trip flight (up to $600) to Honolulu, Hawai’i
- SACNAS will book your hotel room (4 nights) double occupancy – students will be assigned a roommate
EligibilityDue to federal funding stipulations, SACNAS travel scholarships were previously restricted to U.S. citizen and permanent resident applicants. However, in an effort to provide equal access to all students, SACNAS has allocated privately funded resources towards our travel scholarship program. This allows for all students to be eligible for travel scholarships in 2019, regardless of citizenship and/or residency status. Note: Any information collected on citizenship status in the travel scholarship application is held strictly confidential and used only for the purposes of determining scholarship eligibility and overall attendee demographics. Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for a travel scholarship:
- Be a current SACNAS member before applying for a travel scholarship
- Be at least 18 years of age (at the time of the conference)
- Be able to travel from within the U.S. or U.S. territories
- Be an undergraduate student in a summer research program
- Be an undergraduate student interested in pursuing a master’s or PhD in a STEM field and enrolled in a two-year or four-year college/university during Fall 2019
Application Components & Requirements
- A complete SACNAS Travel Scholarship application will contain:
- Statement of purpose (500-word limit)
- One letter of recommendation
- Unofficial transcript (Unofficial transcript confirms that applicant is a currently enrolled student. GPA is NOT considered when reviewing a travel scholarship application.)
- Applications must be received through the online application submission system by July 8th, 2019, 5:00 PM Pacific Time. You will be responsible to ensure your application is complete, including following up with your recommender to ensure they submit their letter before their deadline.
- No email or late submissions will be accepted (It is recommended you submit your application with ample time prior to the deadline to avoid any technical issues)
- All submissions are final.
Selection ProcessEach application is assigned 2-3 reviewers. SACNAS will analyze reviewer scores and comments, eligibility criteria, and the priority criteria below to allocate awards.
- Students who are attending and presenting for the first time at a SACNAS conference.
- Students who are attending a SACNAS conference for the first time, but are not presenting.
- Students who are returning to a SACNAS conference and are presenting for the first time at a SACNAS conference.
- All other eligible students.